Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Perspective


I haven't had much to say lately. Been a little dry, a little busy, a little sick... I will say this though. I have noticed a pattern in my personal life that the closer I am to God the more of a sinner I realize I am, the farther away from God the more of a "good guy" I think I am. Of course at either position I would tell you the same with my mind and my lips, that "I am a wretched sinner undeserving of anything good, thank God for his mercy and grace." But during the time that I am more distant from my savior the less I feel the above statement in my heart or live it with my life.

I think this pattern is probably true for everyone. Scripture shows at least two incidents that I can think of right off. The first is of Isaiah when he finds him self caught up in the temple of God in Heaven and when he sees the Lords glory he falls down on his face and says:
“Woe is me! For I am undone, because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for my eyes have seen the King, Yahweh of Armies!” -Isaiah 6
Then again when Jesus has just finished preaching to the masses from Peters boat and then upon Jesus' word Peter catches so many fish that the boat begins to sink...
But Simon Peter, when he saw it, fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, Lord.” Luke 5:8
The other day I was driving past a Raytheon building, like I do at least 4 times a day almost everyday. Only this time I saw something I had never noticed before... the little tiny doors on the side to get in. I realized that the building is set farther back from the road then I had previously thought and the doors gave me perspective as to how big the building really was compared to a person. It was much bigger than I realized, not ginormous or anything but what I thought was a 2-3 story warehouse was actually closer to a 5-6 story warehouse.

Sometimes I see myself a lot bigger or better than I really am and then I catch a glimpse of God, gain some perspective and see just how small I really am in comparison to him.

No comments: