Monday, December 18, 2006

Deserving Death?

Do we really understand the consequenses of our own sins? Do we truly believe in our hearts that we deserve death because of our sin? For some that may be easier to believe than others. I have never killed or seriously hurt someone. I have never broken up a marriage or stolen money from anyone. I have never done any of the really bad things that we think about being serious sins. It is hard to believe that I still deserve death. In my mind I know it is true, but in my heart...

How can we as a Church convince the world that they are in desperate need of a Saviour, that their life depends upon it, if I can't convince myself that I truly am a wretched and miserable man that deserves death? Sometimes I know it is true more than others; there are times when I come face to face with my own black heart and come close to understanding the depth of my own wickedness, but most of the time I just make excuses for myself.

2 comments:

You can call me Kentolla said...

I don't know that people of the world struggle with a sense of desperateness. You don't experience it because you have always known hope. Those who look at death and see an invariateble end with no hope, they find themselves in a desparate situation. When we describe how sin is a separation in our selves from the holiness of God, I think it is easy for them to see that. Anyway, my thoughts aren't real clear or at least are not presenting themselves clearly...

nattyman said...

I don't think of myself as a bad person even though I know that I am. I think a lot of people in the world don't see themselves as bad people either. I just think part of our ineffectiveness at spreading the Good News is our lack of understanding evil. We can't conceive of it in our own hearts so it is hard to convince others of the evil lurking with in them as well. People don't see themselves in need of saving if they don't know of their own sin and its consequences.