Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Incarnate Gospel

"I simply argue that the cross be raised again at the center of the market place as well as on the steeple of the church. I am recovering the claim that Jesus was not crucified in a cathedral between two candles, but on a cross between two theives; on the town garbage heap; at a crossroad so cosmopolitan that they had to write his title in Hebrew and in Latin and in Greek... at the kind of place where cynics talk smut, and thieves curse, and soldiers gamble. Because that is where he died. And that is what he died about. And that is where churchmen ought to be, and what churchmen should be about."

-George MacLeod
Not sure where I got this quote from but I wrote it in the front of my Bible in a Hotel in Topeka at 1:00 in the morning on 2-28-98. Just thought I would share it.

2 comments:

You can call me Kentolla said...

Hmmm... I like that quote,I might forward it on my blog ;). As I read it though, it made me wonder where our "market place" is in the good ol' US of A. Bars? Myspace? I don't know. We have all devored the individualism that our wealth affords us and have lost the type of Market that Christ was in, socially I mean.

You can call me Kentolla said...

One other thought. I did a study once on the teaching of Jesus where I analized who and where he taught and what he taught. One of the most interesting things to me was that while Jesus did much for the poor and "sick", he did do a lot of teaching to the religious community. He spent a whole lot of time with pharisees and saduccees and teachers of the law. Now whether he choose to teach to them or if they just happened to be there is another issue. Regardless, much of what he said was to this community. Trying to redefine their ideas of God, spirituality and community. Anyway. Just thought I would mention it...